Tuesday, May 9, 2017

The Thigh Bone's Connected to the Knee Bone...




 I was on a mission to continue filling in the Blair side of my growing family tree. I contacted my 3rd cousin match Avarisse via Ancestry messaging. She promptly and kindly responded to me. Her message reads as follows:

I will help you as much as I can remember. I believe my paternal grandparents are Israel and Daisey but I don't remember anything about them. My dad was one of their sons, Woodrow. I will call you this evening. Happy first day of Summer.






 Avarisse also has a sister named Darcelle. She felt that Darcelle had more knowledge of family relations, names, dates, times, places, births, and deaths. Darcelle is the historian in that part of the family. Both of these darling sisters were so open to helping me. Most importantly, they embraced me as family, and I embraced them as well. Darcelle went to work recalling all of the dispersed family members that lived in Charlotte during the time of my conception and birth. We were hot on a trail. There was just one very large problem. Our family tree had lots of severed branches. This broke my heart. The ways in which I'd imagined my biological family to be, were starting to crumble. While this reality was sad to me, it was color splashed on a blank page. It was truth and identities. There were first and second cousins that did not know each other. Hell, I'm someone's daughter, sibling, niece, and aunt, and we did not know each other due to the separation of adoption.
 Avarisse's and Darcelle's father was a Blair through his mother. Darcelle told me about some relatives that her late father once spoke of. It was a family of  eleven or thirteen children. Darcelle couldn't remember the exact number. She'd never met them, but she'd heard of them. They all lived in Charlotte among other relatives. She knew that they were her cousins, but she didn't know how. She recalled her father saying how they lived in some apartments in the south side of Charlotte  I was hoping against all hope that the family with eleven or more children was not my immediate part of the family. Researching a tree made of so many offspring was a mofo. No thank you. The only Blair that Darcelle could recall was a great aunt of hers. She knew that her great aunt had died some time in the recent past. This great aunt had a son, and the son had a daughter. She could remember the great aunt's name, but had trouble recalling her son's name. All that she could remember is that his name started with an L...

No comments:

Post a Comment